In 2011, Ohio's Children Services program was placed on a federal program improvement plan (PIP) for failing to meet federal benchmarks. A major deficit identified was Ohio's inability to involve fathers and non-custodial parents in case planning and assessments of their service needs. One result was that OCF began training Ohio County Children Services staff on how to engage fathers during the early stages of the PIP. Because of their success in engaging fathers, in 2014 OCF proposed a pilot project with Summit County Children Services.
The objectives of the pilot project included:
• Strengthening the PIP by providing training for Ohio County Children Services staff to engage and serve fathers in order to enable fathers to provide healthy relationships and a sustainable life for their child/ren.
• Increasing overall performance in the PIP and decrease risk of federal penalties and financial burdens
• Locate and identify all fathers within open and future cases
• Decrease the need for adoption and foster care services
• Increase knowledge of domestic violence
• Identify and involve fathers in case planning where service needs would be assessed and identified.
• Build relationships with fatherhood programs and other referral services for fathers
Summit County Children Services trained child welfare staff in Trumbull and Ashtabula Counties and developed a toolkit for use by other Ohio Children Services Agencies.
Click here to view the toolkit
The Commission Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 10, 2020 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. It will be a Virtual Microsoft Teams Meeting..
Please click here to join the Ohio Commission on Fatherhood Meeting for Thursday, September 10, 2020 Commissioners’ Meeting.
2020 Commission Meeting Dates: Feb.13, July 9, Sept. 10, and Nov. 12.
If you would like to attend a commission meeting, please contact Terri Simons at 614-752-0182. Click the highlighted text to learn more about the commission meetings.
Want to know more about the OCF Commission Meetings? Click on the highlighted text to learn more. Please e-mail Terri.Simons@jfs.ohio.gov if you have any questions.
Reforming Child Support to Improve Outcomes for Children and Families, June 2019
Supporting the Fatherhood Journey: Finding from the Parents and Children Together (PACT) Evaluation
Child Support Noncustodial Parent Employment Demonstration (CSPED) Impact Report
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services: Promoting Responsible Fatherhood
AdCouncil Fatherhood PSAs
Region V Fatherhood Webinars
National Fatherhood Initiative
National Center for Fathering
Kids Count Data
Grant Writing Webinar (Power Point Slides)
Infant Vitality Toolkit for Fathers
Ohio County Services
Ohio Practitioners Network for Fathers and Families (OPNFF)
Ohio Collaborative to Prevent Infant Mortality
Ohio Ex-Offender Reentry Coalition
Ohio Putative Father Registry
Ohio Strong Babies
Start Talking Ohio
Relink.org - Anonymously find available resources for addiction recovery, human trafficking, and incarceration reentry services in your local area